Participative Ergonomics for Manual Tasks - PErforM
On this page:
- What is PErforM?
- Who has used PErforM?
- What are the benefits for my organisation?
- Getting started
- PErform workshops and webinars
- PErform resources
What is PErforM?
Participative Ergonomics for Manual Tasks (PErforM) is a simple manual task risk management program based on participative ergonomics, an internationally recommended approach for reducing musculoskeletal disorders.
The PErforM program:
- provides a framework to help employers engage with workers at all levels to identify, assess and control manual tasks risks within their workplace
- has been used successfully in a wide range of industries
- can be applied to most types of hazardous manual tasks.
NOTE: PErforM is not recommended for people and animal handling tasks or computer workstation assessments.
Who has used PErforM?
Industries such as:
- civil construction
- construction related manufacturing and wholesaling
- aged care
- food processing.
What are the benefits for my organisation?
- better control of manual task risks
- legislative compliance
- improvements in productivity
- improved worker knowledge about manual tasks risks management.
Before implementing PErforM at your workplace make sure you have:
- management commitment and support
- identified a suitable site champion (coordinator and/or trainer)
- workforce participation.
Depending on your existing resources you may want to consider employing a consultant to help (PDF, 347.18 KB) implement the program. When contacting the consultant you may want to ask if they are familiar with using a participative ergonomics approach for managing the risks of hazardous manual tasks and/or if they have facilitated the PErforM program before. These organisations may also be able to assist:
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society of Australia
- Occupational Therapy Australia
- Physiotherapy Association
PErforM workshops and webinars
Workplace Health and Safety Queensland offers free workshops and webinars to help employers better manage hazardous manual tasks using the PErforM (Participative Ergonomics for Manual Tasks) program.
PErforM resource manuals, frequentley asked questions, handbooks, worksheets, presentation and case studies.
- Last updated
- 14 August 2017
We'd love your feedback
Lend Lease reaps benefit of helping motivated injured workers recover at work
Property and infrastructure group, Lend Lease is giving injured workers a new lease on life and rehabilitating them back to work sooner through WorkCover Queensland's Recover at Work host employment program.