We’re Queensland’s work health and safety regulator, part of the Office of Industrial Relations.
Our purpose is to improve work health and safety and reduce the risk of work-related fatalities, injuries and diseases.
We work with industry and assist businesses to create a safe and healthy culture in Queensland places of work.
We do this by:
- making sure work health and safety laws are followed
- investigating work-related fatalities and serious injuries
- taking legal action when work health and safety laws are broken
- educating employees and employers on their legal obligations.
Our role in work-related public safety
We have responsibility under the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 for regulating health and safety matters that have a clear link to the carrying out of work activities, the safety of amusement devices and recreational water activities. This includes addressing matters where work activities present risk to members of the public. We may work with other agencies to do this or we may refer it to the agency best positioned to respond.
Public safety matters outside of our role
We do not generally have responsibility for matters with no clear link to the carrying out of work activities. Examples of areas outside our responsibility include:
- risks to customers from products or services
- medical matters and patient safety
- school student safety matters
- traffic and infrastructure events unrelated to work
- domestic, recreational or public area general injuries unrelated to work.
What to do if you are not sure who to contact
If you’re not sure who the required safety regulator is, you may identify the most appropriate agency from the list of specialist regulators. Alternatively, you can contact us, and we will help you identify the most appropriate agency.
Work Health and Safety Board and committees
The Work Health and Safety Board and its committees are established under the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 to enable industry consultatio...
Best practice review of Workplace Health and Safety Queensland
Best practice review of work health and safety laws, procedures and policing, including terms of reference and discussion paper.