Skip to content

Make a claim

I’m a worker

If you’ve experienced a work-related injury or illness, you may be eligible to make a claim for workers' compensation with WorkCover (or a self-insurer).

There are several ways you can do this:

  • the fastest and easiest way is to complete and submit an online claim
  • phone 1300 362 128 and talk to a member of the WorkCover team.
  • complete a claim form (DOCX, 0.09 MB) and either upload using our online service, fax it to 1300 651 387 or post your completed form to GPO Box 2459, Brisbane Qld 4001.

Be sure to let your employer know what has happened as soon as you can, give them your work capacity certificate and let them know you are making a claim.

If your employer self-insures, you’ll need to contact them directly to make a claim. Find out if your employer is a self-insurer.

Find out more about the claim process.

Public hospital referral

If you go to the hospital with a work-related injury, the hospital will automatically send your work capacity certificate to WorkCover and we’ll contact you via SMS to see if you want to make a claim.

If you do, we’ll start the claim determination process for you. You don’t have to make a claim but if you decide not to, then any costs you have to pay relating to your injury will be your responsibility.

We won't move forward with a claim unless you tell us to.

I’m an employer

If one of your workers has experienced a work-related injury or illness, you may need to notify Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ) of the incident. If your worker was injured, you may also need to let WorkCover Queensland know.

If you have the worker’s consent you can start the claim process on their behalf by submitting a claim form (unless you’re self-insured).

Employers can access information on any existing claims by using the WorkCover Connect portal.

Self-insurers won’t need to talk to WorkCover but may still need to tell WHSQ what's happened.

Explore the sections below to find what you need for your individual situation.

I need to make claim. What should I do?

Visit our online services to make a claim. You can also find out more about work-related injuries and what to do when one happens.

Do I need to notify of an incident?

Find out by learning more about incidents.

Once you’re sure you need to notify, you can access online services to let Workplace Health and Safety Queensland know about the incident and start the claims process.

Find out if you need to notify by learning more about incidents then access an online incident notification form to let Workplace Health and Safety Queensland know an incident has happened.

Other ways to notify WHSQ are to:

  • call 1300 362 128
  • fax the completed incident notification form (PDF, 0.24 MB) to (07) 3874 7730 or email it to

Report to WorkCover Queensland

As an employer, you must report a work-related injury or illness within eight days of becoming aware of it. Reporting the injury isn’t the same as making a claim for workers’ compensation.

There are several ways to report an injury or illness to WorkCover. You can:

  • phone 1300 362 128 and speak to a member of WorkCover’s Customer Service Team, or
  • complete the approved form (PDF, 0.14 MB) and
    • upload using our online service. Select 'new claim' to report an injury
    • fax to 1300 651 387, or
    • post to GPO Box 2459, Brisbane Qld 4001, or
  • complete the online form. We’ll be in touch if we need any extra information from you.

Report to a self-insured employer

If your employer self-insures you’ll need to complete the approved form (PDF, 0.14 MB) and submit it to your employer.

Find out if your employer self-insures.

If you’re a self-insured employer and need to notify Workplace health and safety of an incident, you must fill out this online form.

I have a complaint about a workplace health and safety issue. What should I do?

If you would like to raise a workplace concern with Workplace Health and safety Queensland you should fill out this online form.

Related links