If you’ve experienced a work-related injury or illness, you may be eligible to make a claim for workers' compensation with WorkCover (or a self-insurer).
You will need a work capacity certificate (your doctor will give you this at your initial consult for your injury) before you make a claim.
There are several ways to make a claim with WorkCover:
- the fastest and easiest way is to complete and submit an online claim
- phone 1300 362 128 and talk to a member of the WorkCover team.
- complete a claim form (DOCX, 0.09 MB) and either:
- upload using our online service
- fax it to 1300 651 387
- post your completed form to GPO Box 2459, Brisbane Qld 4001.
Before starting, we recommend you review the checklist below to ensure you have everything you need.
The more information you can provide to WorkCover (or the self-insurer) about your injury, the faster your claim can be assessed and the sooner you can get back to work.
To make a claim, you'll need to give us (or the self-insurer):
- your full name, date of birth and personal contact information—including email address and mobile phone number
- your employer's name and location
- a work capacity certificate from your initial consult for this injury (your doctor will give you this)
- your bank details—BSB, account number and account name (for weekly compensation or reimbursement claims)
- a Tax File Number declaration (PDF, 0.08 MB) (for time loss claims)
- information about your injury or illness, including details about how and when it happened.
Be sure to let your employer know what has happened as soon as you can, give them your work capacity certificate and let them know you are making a claim.
If your employer self-insures, you’ll need to contact them directly to make a claim. Find out if your employer is a self-insurer.
Find out more about the claim process.
Public hospital referral
If you go to the hospital with a work-related injury, the hospital will automatically send your work capacity certificate to WorkCover and we’ll contact you via SMS to see if you want to make a claim.
If you do, we’ll start the claim determination process for you. You don’t have to make a claim but if you decide not to, then any costs you have to pay relating to your injury will be your responsibility.
We won't move forward with a claim unless you tell us to.
I’m an employer
If you have the worker’s consent you can start the claim process on their behalf by submitting a claim form (unless you’re self-insured). You’ll need:
- your worker's full name, date of birth, and personal contact information
- your policy number—if you aren't sure, you can give us your business name, ABN or ACN
- the type of injury and details about how and when it happened
- your copy of the worker's work capacity certificate
- normal weekly earnings wage figures and working hours for your worker (if they’re taking time off work). You’ll also need the amount payable under your worker’s industrial agreement.
Employers can make a claim or access information on any existing claims by using the WorkCover Connect portal.
If one of your workers has experienced a work-related injury or illness, you may need to notify Workplace Health and Safety Queensland of the incident.
If your worker was injured, you may also need to report the injury.
Explore the sections below to find what you need for your individual situation.
Do I need to notify of an incident?
Once you’re sure you need to notify, you can use our online services to let Workplace Health and Safety Queensland know about the incident and start the claims process with WorkCover Queensland.
If you don't need to notify of the incident, and you only need to make a claim on behalf of your worker, use the online claim form.
Self-insurer incident reporting
If your employer self-insures and you need to notify Workplace health and safety of an incident, you must fill out this online form.
Find out if your employer self-insures.
Report to WorkCover Queensland
As an employer, you must report a work-related injury or illness within eight days of becoming aware of it. Reporting the injury isn’t the same as making a claim for workers’ compensation.
There are several ways to report an injury or illness to WorkCover. You can:
- phone 1300 362 128 and speak to a member of WorkCover’s Customer Service Team, or
- complete the approved form (PDF, 0.14 MB) and
- upload using our online service. Select 'new claim' to report an injury
- fax to 1300 651 387, or
- post to GPO Box 2459, Brisbane Qld 4001, or
- complete the online form. We’ll be in touch if we need any extra information from you.
Report to a self-insured employer
If your employer self-insures you’ll need to complete the approved form (PDF, 0.14 MB) and submit it to your employer.
Find out if your employer self-insures.