Skip to content

Injury travelling to, from or for work

Not all work-related injuries happen in your main place of work. Depending on the situation, you may still be eligible for compensation.

You might experience an injury:

  • travelling between your home and place of work
  • on your way to or from training relating to your work
  • travelling to or from medical or rehabilitation treatment that is part of an existing WorkCover claim
  • travelling between jobs with separate employers
  • while travelling for work-related reasons (i.e. a work conference or meeting) locally, interstate or internationally.

Am I able to claim?

To be compensated, you need to have started your journey without any major delays or deviations and be travelling directly between your home and workplace or trade, technical, or other training school (or other location as outlined above).

If your injury happens at your home, you’re not considered to have started your journey and won’t be able to be compensated. This is supported by the Workers' Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003

If you’re travelling outside your normal work location (i.e. inter-city, interstate or overseas), for work-related reasons, your employment must be a significant contributing factor to your injury. There are a number of things to consider. If you make a claim, we can look at your individual situation.

Make a claim