Skip to content

Workplace personal injury insurance

WorkCover Queensland

As an employer, you must insure your workers against work-related injury or illness with an Accident Insurance Policy. But, if you're a director, partner of a partnership, sole trader or trustee, you won't be covered by it.

Workplace Personal Injury Insurance insures you against work-related injury or illness. This type of policy may cover you for injuries at work or while travelling to or from work.

Apply for a policy

Who can take out a policy?

Workplace Personal Injury Insurance is optional and available to any eligible person regardless of age or health.

You can apply for cover if you:

  • aren't covered as a worker under your Accident Insurance Policy
  • receive pay or another benefit for working or supplying services.

You need to be one of the following:

  • a contractor
  • a self-employed individual
  • a director of a corporation i.e. company
  • a partner of a partnership
  • a trustee of a trust.

Download the guide to Workplace personal injury insurance (PDF, 4.14 MB) to read more about what’s covered and our conditions.

If you have questions about Workplace Personal Injury Insurance, call us on 1300 362 128.

What's covered?

  • Weekly benefits of up to 85% of the insured benefit level
  • Reasonable injury-related medical and rehabilitation costs
  • Travelling expenses
  • Lump-sum payments
  • Death benefits

What's not covered?

  • Common law costs (because you're insuring against yourself)
  • Injury or illness sustained when you're not working.

Setting up a Workplace Personal Injury Insurance Policy

You can apply and pay for your policy online. Have these details ready:

  • Your name and date of birth
  • Your contact information including home address
  • A brief description of your occupation
  • Your insured benefit level (IBL)
  • MasterCard or Visa payment details.

If you would like to pay via a monthly payment plan, which is interest-free and no extra cost, call us on 1300 362 128.

Apply for a policy

Maintaining your policy

We’ll renew your policy in early June each year for the coming year's annual insurance. We'll send you a renewal premium notice based on the IBL you provided the year before.

If you want to update your IBL or your occupation has changed, call us as soon as you receive your notice. We'll amend your policy and resend your notice with the corrected information.

So your renewal runs smoothly, be sure to update your contact details before June to ensure we send your notice to the right address.

Related links