Apply for a high risk work licence
High risk work (HRW) licences are renewable, photographic and recognised nationally.
To get your HRW licence you must complete:
- formal training - classroom training provided by a registered training organisation (RTO) with approval to deliver the particular course
- informal learning – eg: workplace training with a supervisor who holds the relevant HRW licence.
Read information on applying for a HRW licence if you live interstate.
High risk work (HRW) licence application process
Find an RTO offering training for a HRW licence class.
Complete both formal training and informal learning through your RTO.
Book in a theory and practical assessment with your RTO. Bookings for assessments need to be made at least six business days in advance.
Successful applicants will receive an assessment summary (AS1) from the accredited assessor and a statement of attainment from the RTO.
Complete the online application for a new Queensland HRW Licence
This must be done within 60 days of successfully completing the practical assessment.
Note: Interstate residents can apply for a Queensland HRW licence as long as they were trained and assessed in Queensland by a Queensland based registered training organisation (RTO) and assessor.
You will need:
- LHRW Assessment Summary - AS1 form/s issued by a Queensland Accredited Assessor.
- Details of their QGov/Google/Microsoft account. If you do not have one of these accounts you can register for a QGov account during the application process.
- A valid email address.
- The customer reference number (CRN) from one of the following Queensland Transport and Main Roads (TMR) issued licence cards:
- i.e. Driver's Licence,
- Proof of age card,
- Marine licence indicator card, or
- Industry authority card.
- If you do not hold one of these cards you can still lodge your application; Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ) will contact you after you have lodged the online application to provide information about how to obtain a TMR CRN.
- Details of any photographic HRW licences you hold that were issued by another state, territory or the Commonwealth. A credit or debit visa card to pay the $88.40 application fee
Retain your AS1 and proof of payment as evidence that you can lawfully perform work in the relevant class of high risk, pending a decision on your application.
- Last updated
- 06 February 2017
North Queensland Return to Work Conference
The North Queensland Return to Work Conference is back in 2017 with a new line-up of expert speakers addressing the needs of those on the frontline of rehabilitation and return to work. Register now!
It's now even easier to track your claim with the Worker Assist app
Get real time updates about your claim, any time, anywhere, and find out when your next payment will be plus much more!