Skip to content

Interstate licences

All current photographic high risk work (HRW) licences from an Australian state or territory are recognised nationally.

You can still legally conduct high risk work in Queensland if you have a current photographic HRW licence from another state or territory.

Current photographic nationally recognised licences must be renewed every five years.

Converting or renewing a photographic HRW licence issued interstate

A valid photographic HRW licence that was issued in another state or territory other than Queensland is valid in Queensland. If the licence expiry date is not more than three months away or has not exceeded the expiry date by 12 months, the licence holder can renew the licence in Queensland.

Visit High Risk Work Licence Online Services to renew your Interstate HRW licence in Queensland.

To apply, you will require the following information:

  • your Interstate HRW licence i.e. licence number, issue and expiry date
  • details of your QGOV/Google/Microsoft account, if you do not have one of these accounts you can register for a QGov account during the application process
  • a valid email address
  • customer reference number (CRN) from one of the following Queensland Transport and Main Roads (TMR) issued licence cards:
    • Queensland issued drivers licence
    • proof of age card
    • marine licence indicator card
    • industry authority card
    • a HRW product number provided by TMR for a previous HRW application
  • If you do not have a relevant TMR CRN you can still lodge your application. Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ) will contact you to provide information about how to obtain a TMR CRN.

Please note: Digital photographs and signatures held by TMR (that meet a certain criteria) are used for the purposes of printing a HRW licence. You may be required to visit a TMR counter to create a TMR account or provide a new photograph and signature.

Payment can be made by:

  • credit card
  • BPay (biller code and reference number will be provided at the end of the application process).

Non-photographic old style licence

A non-photographic old style licence issued in another state or territory is no longer valid and cannot be transferred or renewed in Queensland. Even if the issuing state or territory still recognises the non-photographic licences it will not be recognised in Queensland. The individual will need to contact their issuing jurisdiction or a registered training organisation for further instruction.