Rigging work involves the use of mechanical load shifting equipment and associated gear to move, place or secure a load including plant, equipment or members of a structure to ensure the stability of those members. It also includes the setting up or dismantling of cranes or hoists.
This section covers high risk licences for the following:
- Basic rigging work (RB)
- Intermediate rigging work (RI)
- Advanced rigging work (RA).
There may be a requirement to hold a Rigger or Dogger licence if you work in the lift and escalator industry. Find out more about high risk work licensing for lifts and escalators (PDF, 0.45 MB).
Basic rigging - RB
A basic rigging licence encompass the requirements for a dogging licence. To apply for a basic rigging licence you must hold, or have previously passed assessment for, a dogging licence.
The scope of work for basic rigging includes:
- dogging work
- structural steel erection
- particular hoists
- placement of pre-cast concrete members of a structure
- safety nets and static lines
- mast climbers
- perimeter safety screens and shutters
- cantilevered crane loading platforms.
Intermediate rigging - RI
To perform intermediate rigging duties you need to have an Intermediate rigging - RI high risk work licence.
To apply for an intermediate rigging licence you must hold, or have previously passed assessment for, a dogging licence and basic rigging licence.
The scope of work for intermediate rigging includes:
- rigging work in the class Basic Rigging
- all hoists
- rigging of cranes, conveyors, dredges and excavators
- demolition of structures or plant
- dual lifts.
Advanced rigging - RA
To perform Advanced rigging duties you need to have an Advanced rigging - RA high risk work licence.
To apply for an advanced rigging licence you must hold, or have previously passed assessment for, a dogging licence, basic rigging licence and intermediate rigging licence.
- rigging work in the class Intermediate Rigging
- rigging of gin poles and shear legs
- flying foxes and cableways
- guyed derricks and structures
- suspended scaffolds and fabricated hung scaffolds.