Dogger - DG
Dogging work is:
- the application of slinging techniques including the selection and inspection of lifting gear to safely sling a load
- the directing of a plant operator in the movement of a load when the load is out of the operator's view.
Slinging techniques means using judgement in relation to the suitability of lifting gear and the method of slinging, by considering the nature of the load, its mass and its centre of gravity.
There are some circumstances where a person without a high risk work dogging (DG) licence can safely sling a load.
A person can sling a load, without holding a dogging HRW licence (or rigging) when there is no judgment required for slinging techniques or the suitability and the condition of lifting gear, because the following factors have been predetermined by a licensed dogger or rigger or an appropriately qualified engineer:
- the weight of the load or weight range to be lifted has been determined and communicated (which may be marked on the load)
- selection of the sling and slinging techniques for the load has been made
- the inspection of lifting gear confirms it is in a safe and serviceable condition
- the lifting points have been incorporated as part of the load (e.g. lifting lugs) or are marked on the load
- the load is to be lifted within the view of the operator at all times
- standard lifting procedures have been documented and signed-off by the dogger, rigger or engineer
- the person has been trained and deemed competent in the documented lifting procedures
If these factors cannot be predetermined by the licensed dogger, rigger or appropriately qualified engineer, then a person with a high risk work dogging (DG) licence must conduct the lift.
- Last updated
- 19 April 2016
North Queensland Return to Work Conference
The North Queensland Return to Work Conference is back in 2017 with a new line-up of expert speakers addressing the needs of those on the frontline of rehabilitation and return to work. Register now!
It's now even easier to track your claim with the Worker Assist app
Get real time updates about your claim, any time, anywhere, and find out when your next payment will be plus much more!