Declaring the wages for your business is an important part of renewing your accident insurance policy and a key responsibility as an employer.
Wages means the total amount paid to a worker as wages, salary, or other earnings having monetary value.
When do I need to renew my policy?
Renew your WorkCover Accident Insurance policy by declaring your wages and paying your premium between July 1 and September 30 each year.
- From 1 July – declare your wages early using online services or over the phone and take advantage of a payment plan if you need it
- 31 August – wage declarations due
- 16 September – if you pay in full by this date and your wages were declared on time, you’ll get a 5% discount on your premium
- 30 September – your full premium payment is due by this date if you don't have a payment plan
What do I need to declare?
It’s important to know who you need to cover so you can declare your wages accurately.
WorkCover needs details of:
- your estimate of wages you’ll pay this financial year
- your actual wages from the last financial year
We also consider your estimate of the last financial year’s wages (you’ll have given us this amount at your last renewal). We do this so we can work out if there was a difference and whether we need to adjust your current premium.
Explore the sections below to find out what types of payments should be included or excluded.
You need to declare the following payments when you renew your policy:
- all PAYG gross salary and wage payments
- all superannuation payments, including super salary sacrifice
- any fringe benefits or other entitlements that have a monetary value
- all payments made to any individual contractors that are considered workers (excluding GST).
Learn more about what amounts paid to workers should be declared as wages in the Wages Definition Manual (PDF, 0.34 MB).
Some payments are not assessed so you shouldn’t include them when you declare wages. These are:
- any amounts reimbursed for work-related expenses
- lump sum termination payments
- excess period payments
- any compensation payment reimbursed by WorkCover
- any payment made to Directors, Trustees or Partners.
Declare your wages and pay your premium quickly and easily using WorkCover‘s online services.
- Wages Definition Manual (PDF, 0.34 MB)