Skip to content

WorkCover Industry Classifications (WICs)

Every accident insurance policy has a WorkCover Industry Classification (WIC) code. We use WICs to group your business and help us work out your premium.

We also use WICs to calculate the risk and performance of your industry.

We look at the main activity of your business when working out which WIC to assign to your policy. This doesn't always mean what your individual staff do.  Often this'll be the activity you invoice your customers for. For example, you might employ cleaners to clean office buildings. To support this activity, you may also employ admin workers, accountants and drivers. Regardless of this, your main business activity is still cleaning.

A national classification scheme published by the Australian Bureau of Statistics sets the basis for how we work out our codes. The scheme is called the Australian and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC). It's designed to make it easier to compare industry statistics across regions.

You can find your WIC and more information about the purpose of WICs in the Queensland Government Gazette.

How we work out your WIC

Many businesses fit neatly into a WIC. But, we don’t have a comprehensive list of every business activity in Queensland. If you have a specialised business, we’ll classify you under a WIC that closely describes your main business activity.

To find the right WIC for your policy, we look at:

  • the nature of the goods & services supplied by your business
  • the business activities you hold yourself out as performing or being ready, willing and able to perform
  • your claims history (if any)
  • the activity that generates the most revenue and wages payments
  • the number of workers per business activity.

When multiple WICs apply

We usually allow for one WIC per policy. However, you may be able to apply for more than one WIC if the following apply to you or your business:

  • You carry out more than one business activity,
  • The activities operate from separate locations, and
  • The activities aren’t dependant to each other, or
  • You run a labour-hire or group training business.

Call us on 1300 362 128 if you think you're eligible for more than one WIC.

Changing your WIC

You can apply to change the WIC we've assigned to your policy.

If your business activity changes or you feel we have misclassified your original policy, call us on 1300 362 128.

If you feel you've been misclassified, you can talk to us about your business and we'll discuss our decision with you. If you're still not happy with your WIC, you can then seek a review of your classification with the Workers' Compensation Regulator.