The Electrical Safety Act 2002 states that an employer must ensure specified electrical equipment is regularly and properly inspected, tested and tagged as safe. Section 97 of the Electrical Safety Regulation 2013 (ES Regulation) provides a definition of specified electrical equipment.
You must be deemed competent to do this work.
The ES Regulation defines a competent person as someone who has the knowledge and skill to inspect and test electrical equipment.
This knowledge and skills can be gained through:
- a combination of these
The employer or self-employed person is responsible for determining that the person carrying out inspection, testing and tagging of electrical equipment has the required competencies.
According to the Australian Standard AS/NZS 3760 In-service safety inspection and testing of electrical equipment the following competencies are required to inspect, test and tag electrical equipment:
- Knowledge of, and the ability to carry out, a visual examination of electrical equipment in accordance with AS/NZS 3760.
- The ability to distinguish between electrical equipment that is double insulated and equipment that is protectively earthed and identify the appropriate test for each type.
- The ability to carry out the earthing continuity tests on electrical equipment in accordance with Appendix A of AS/NZS 3760, while flexing the flexible cable.
- The ability to carry out the insulation resistance tests on electrical equipment in accordance with AS/NZS 3760.
- The ability to carry out tests on residual current devices (safety switches) in accordance with AS/NZS 3760.
- Knowledge of the proper use of the relevant testing instruments and to interpret results for compliance with AS/NZS 3760.
- An understanding of how the ES Regulation applies to electrical equipment and installations at the workplace.
Registered training organisation(s) in Queensland offer 'UEENEEP026* Conduct In-service Safety Testing of electrical cord connected equipment'.
(Course of Instruction UEENEEP008* Conduct In-service Safety Testing of electrical cord connected equipment now superseded but valid for 5 years from course completion date.)
This course carries a Statement of Attainment.