Provision of personal protective equipment (PPE)
The following items of PPE are required when pumping concrete:
- safety helmets
- eye protection
- safety vest
- rubber safety boots.
The following items of PPE may also be required when pumping concrete:
- hearing protection
PPE is the least effective method for controlling risks, however in many circumstances related to concrete pumping it provides the most practical option.
Each pump unit should be equipped with the following items:
- first aid kit (must include eye wash)
- protective creams
- fire extinguishers
- sufficient reflective traffic cones (minimum 450mm high)
- signs (e.g. exclusion zone and use of high visibility vests).
For more detailed information on safety equipment, check Section 6.1 and 6.2 of the Concrete Pumping Code of Practice 2019 (PDF, 1.04 MB).
A person conducting a business or undertaking must provide information, training instruction or supervision that covers:
- the work methods to be used in the setting up and safe operation of concrete placement booms and pumps
- the method for inspection and maintenance of concrete pumping equipment
- knowledge of the manufacturer's operation and service manuals
- the correct use, care and storage of personal protective equipment
- the correct use, care and storage of tools and equipment to be used, including electrical safety practices
- procedures to be adopted in the event of accident or injury.
- ensure that only those workers who have received training and instruction are authorised to carry out that work
- monitor the work sufficiently to make sure that safe work practices are being carried out, including the use of all protection systems and personal protection equipment.
For more detailed information on training and supervision, check Section 1.5 of the Concrete Pumping Code of Practice 2019 (PDF, 1.04 MB).