PErforM is a simple manual task risk management program where workers get involved in making their jobs safer.
Find out more about PErforM and the resources available.
What is PErforM?
PErforM is a manual task risk-management program based on participative ergonomics. PErforM aims to reduce the amount of musculoskeletal disorders in the workplace.
The PErforM program:
- provides a framework to help employers engage with workers at all levels to identify, assess and control manual tasks risks within their workplace
- has been used successfully in a wide range of industries
- can be applied to most types of hazardous manual tasks.
NOTE: PErforM is not recommended for people and animal handling tasks or computer workstation assessments.
Who has used PErforM?
Industries such as:
- civil construction
- construction related manufacturing and wholesaling
- aged care
- food processing.
What are the benefits for my organisation?
- better control of manual task risks
- legislative compliance
- improvements in productivity
- improved worker knowledge about manual tasks risks management.
Before implementing PErforM at your workplace make sure you have:
- management commitment and support
- identified a suitable site champion (coordinator and/or trainer)
- workforce participation.
Depending on your existing resources you may want to consider employing a consultant to help (PDF, 0.34 MB) implement the program. When contacting the consultant you may want to ask if they are familiar with using a participative ergonomics approach for managing the risks of hazardous manual tasks and/or if they have facilitated the PErforM program before. These organisations may also be able to assist:
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society of Australia
- Occupational Therapy Australia
- Physiotherapy Association
PErforM resource manuals, frequently asked questions, handbooks, worksheets, presentation and case studies.