Renew or reinstate your electrical contractor licence
You can renew your current electrical contractor licence within two months of the expiry date.
You can reinstate an expired electrical contractor licence within 12 months of it having expired.
PLEASE NOTE: Your reinstated licence will be issued with an expiry date twelve months from the original expiry date.
If your electrical contractor licence is expired longer than 12 months you need to apply for a new licence by submitting a Form 18 - Application for a Queensland electrical contractor licence (PDF, 186.52 KB). You will be issued a new licence number.
You cannot renew or reinstate your electrical contractor licence if:
- it has been expired for more than one year
- you have changed the legal entity structure of your business (e.g. changed from a sole trader to a company)
- your ACN has changed because you’ve established a new company
- your contractor licence was cancelled because there was no qualified person as required.
Before you begin
Before you begin the renewal process ensure:
- your insurance policy is current and meets the requirements of s.51 of the Electrical Safety Regulation 2013
- your qualified technical person (QTP) and qualified business person (QBP) are still eligible to be nominated for the licence (e.g. Are they still employed by the business?).
To update your QTP and QBP details visit Update your contractor licence details
- your QTP’s electrical work licence is current
- that any ASIC company or business registrations are current.
Once you are ready to proceed, you will need your renewal notification letter. This letter would have been sent to your last advised postal address. You need the identifying numbers printed on the letter to complete your renewal. If you have not received your letter please call 1300 362 128.
The Electrical Safety Office (ESO) is moving to email notifications only for electrical licence renewal notices. To continue to receive your notification please ensure you have provided a current email address.Change your address or contact details online.
Ready to renew your licence online?
You can pay your application fee using your credit card. Please note the ESO does not recommend Bpay payments for licence renewals due to transaction delays. Please contact our office on 1300 362 128 if you wish to pay by Bpay.
Can’t renew online or need more information?
If you are unable to renew online or need more information, please call 1300 362 128.
- Last updated
- 20 February 2019