Category seven – Best demonstrated leadership in work health and safety
Category twelve - Best response to the COVID-19 pandemic in work health and safety
Seqwater supply safe, sustainable and secure drinking water to the entire South East Queensland community. It was essential their operations continue during the COVID-19 pandemic, so the protection of their workforce was necessary. Seqwater reviewed their health and safety systems and established a COVID-19 steering committee which reviewed professionals’ recommendations about the pandemic and provided direction through:
- Pandemic Response Plan
- management of COVID-19 in the workplace guideline
- online reporting form of COVID-19 positive cases/close contacts
- leaders’ checklist for consistent messaging
- COVID-19 FAQ page on Seqwater’s Waternet
- HR and leave guidelines page on Seqwater’s Waternet
- revised contractor/visitor health declaration form
- QR check in codes at all sites
- vehicle cleaning and occupancy guidelines
- COVID-safe floor plans and room restrictions
- removal of non-essential personnel from operational sites, to limit the spread of the virus.
Seqwater used a holistic approach to foster an environment where workers felt empowered and supported to take care of themselves and others.
Positive impacts following the strategies that Seqwater implemented during COVID-19 included:
- departmental collaboration
- hybrid work model
- increased focus on mental health
- culture of staying at home if unwell
- other health strategies following the value of personal care highlighted during the pandemic (e.g. flu vaccinations, skin checks, mental health first aid)
- external stakeholder collaboration.