This award recognises individuals who have made an exceptional contribution to work health and safety. This may include developing and implementing a safety solution, system, product, program or other risk control measure that reduces the risk of work-related injury and/or disease (physical or psychological).
- Describe the individuals/your role. Who/what are they/you responsible for? What are their/your day-to-day activities?
- Detail the individuals/your health and safety contributions. Who do they affect, and how do they affect the overall operation of the business?
- Detail any barriers the individual/you experienced and how they were overcome (e.g. difficulty gaining management support, convincing staff to use the initiative, finding external suppliers or supporters).
- How did the individual/you communicate and consult with staff and management about the changes?
- How did the individual/you gain the support of staff and management?
- Provide evidence of how the nominee directly improved injury rates, workers' compensation premiums, housekeeping/site appearance, and monitoring, assessment and reporting processes.
- Has the individual/you improved attitudes towards safety and work health and safety culture? (Consider management commitment, worker involvement, ongoing training, monitoring, and legacy of the improvements).
- Was the solution a higher order of control?
- Describe the challenges or barriers faced in their/your role and how they were overcome (e.g. business size, resources, geography).
- Is there potential for the individuals/your contribution to have broader application across industry? How?
- Detail the time, effort and dedication they/you spent achieving the improvements.