Diesel Parts and Service: Improving culture to reduce injuries
IPaM case study: Diesel Parts and Service
Diesel Parts and Service provide sales, installation and servicing of diesel parts including pumps, engines and generators. The company has been family run for more than 45 years and currently employs 28 staff.
Diesel Parts and Service were invited to participate in the Injury Prevention and Management Program (IPaM) in August 2014 following a high number of workers' compensation claims, putting them above the industry average.
What was the problem?
Before joining the program Diesel Parts and Service were experiencing issues including:
- not enough time given to consider work health and safety issues
- lack of communication with staff about work health and safety
- staff not taking personal responsibility for their own safety.
An IPaM advisor worked with Diesel Parts and Service management to identify opportunities to improve communication with staff through consultation, communication, training and supervision.
What was the solution?
A range of measures were implemented to address communication issues including:
- the Managing Director has taken on the role of safety leader, setting a positive example of safety and promoting safety in the workplace
- implementing monthly staff workshops and staff forums for workers to raise safety issues including discussion of any incident which may have happened during the past month
- adoption of an open door policy to ensure staff have opportunities to raise safety issues as they arise without fear of reprisal.
What were the benefits?
- improved communication and engagement with staff about work health and safety issues
- increased awareness and understanding of work health and safety across the organisation
- improved safety culture in which staff are taking personal responsibility for safety
- increased reporting of incidents and hazards
- reduced injuries
- reduced workers compensation premiums by 30 per cent.
For injury prevention and management information and resources:
- Visit worksafe.qld.gov.au.
- Call us on 1300 362 128.