Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ), WorkCover Queensland and Industrial Relations (Labour Hire Licensing) will be conducting compliance assessments from September 2018 to April 2019 across the Queensland poultry processing industry. This will include labour hire companies that supply labour to poultry processing workplaces.
The purpose of this campaign is to reduce the injury rate within the poultry processing industry by raising awareness of the various industry related risks and exposures for workers, including labour hire and visa workers.
Inspectors will audit safety systems, conduct a walk through survey of the workplace and hold discussions with managers, supervisors, team leaders and workers (full-time, part-time, and casuals/labour-hire). Compliance action will be taken where high risks are identified.
WorkCover Queensland and the Labour Hire Licensing team will be looking to confirm whether obligations of poultry processing workplaces and labour hire providers are being met. Organisations that do not use labour hire companies but contract labour through a visa program or similar will be included in the compliance campaign.
The following codes of practice, guidance and assessment tools may assist you to improve your practices and prepare for your visit.
Codes of practice
- Work health and safety consultation, co-operation and co-ordination Code of Practice 2011 (PDF, 0.47 MB)
- How to manage work health and safety risks Code of Practice 2011 (PDF, 1.02 MB)
- Hazardous manual tasks Code of Practice 2011 (PDF, 2.23 MB)
- Managing risks of plant in the workplace Code of Practice 2013 (PDF, 1.04 MB)
- Managing the work environment and facilities Code of Practice 2011 (PDF, 0.7 MB) (includes falling objects and working at heights)
- Managing risks of hazardous chemicals in the workplace Code of Practice 2013 (PDF, 1.46 MB)
- Knife sharpening programs in the red meat processing industry
- Guide to the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (PDF, 0.32 MB) (includes information on training, instruction and supervision)
- Labour hire agencies: Managing the safety of on-hired workers (PDF, 0.28 MB)
- Host employers: Managing the safety of labour hire workers (PDF, 0.26 MB)
- Poultry processing industry self-assessment checklist (PDF, 0.18 MB) looks at common work health and safety issues for the poultry processing industry, including labour hire workers.
For further information please contact Workplace Health and Safety Queensland at email@example.com or call 1300 362 128. Information on the labour hire licensing scheme can be found at labourhire.qld.gov.au