Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ) will be launching the Safety in sawmilling campaign in March 2018. As part of the campaign we will conduct workplace advisory and compliance assessments at Queensland log sawmilling workplaces from March to October 2018.
Who is this campaign targeting?
The campaign will assist sawmilling workplaces to better manage hazards and risks effectively and sustainably, by focusing on safe systems of work, hazard identification and control in all areas of the log sawmilling process.
When can my business expect a visit?
Sawmilling workplaces will be notified prior to the inspector visits.
There are two phases to the visits:
- Phase 1: An inspector will visit the workplace to provide advice and resources to help identify gaps in safety management systems, risks and hazard identification.
- Phase 2: Approximately three months after the initial visit, the inspector will return and conduct a worksite compliance assessment of log sawmilling processes.
What can my business do to prepare and participate?
WHSQ has developed self-assessment checklists to assist sawmilling workplaces to review their safety compliance prior to the inspector visit. Sawmilling workplaces are encouraged to use these resources prior to the inspector visits, to identify hazards, risks and appropriate controls to improve safety.
- Work Health and Safety Act 2011
- Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011
- Electrical Safety Act 2002
- Electrical Safety Regulation 2013
Codes of practice
- Confined spaces Code of practice 2011 (PDF, 1.01 MB)
- Electrical safety Code of practice 2013 - Managing electrical risks in the workplace (PDF, 0.38 MB)
- First aid in the workplace Code of practice 2014 (PDF, 0.39 MB)
- Hazardous manual tasks Code of practice 2011 (PDF, 2.23 MB)
- How to manage and control asbestos in the workplace Code of practice 2011 (PDF, 1.34 MB)
- How to manage work health and safety risks Code of practice 2011 (PDF, 1.02 MB)
- Managing risks of hazardous chemicals in the workplace Code of practice 2013 (PDF, 1.46 MB)
- Managing noise and preventing hearing loss at work Code of practice 2011 (PDF, 1.24 MB)
- Managing risks of plant in the workplace Code practice 2013 (PDF, 1.04 MB)
- Managing the work environment and facilities Code of practice 2011 (PDF, 0.7 MB)
- Managing risks of falls code of practice 2011 (PDF, 2.31 MB)
- Work health and safety consultation, co-operation and co-ordination Code of practice 2011 (PDF, 0.47 MB)
- Welding Code of Practice 2013 (PDF, 0.88 MB)
Guides and handbooks
- Benchmarking of exposures to wood dust and formaldehyde in selected industries in Australia - Safe Work Australia
- Participative Ergonomics for Manual Tasks (PErforM) Handbook (PDF, 1.08 MB)
- GHS-ADG-quick-guide (PDF, 2.17 MB)
- How to determine what is reasonably practicable to meet a health and safety duty
- Hazardous chemicals – placard and manifest quantities information (PDF, 0.24 MB)
- Incident notification fact sheet
- Testing and tagging of electrical equipment
- Interpretive guideline – model Work Health and Safety Act - the meaning of 'reasonably practicable'
- Serious about safe business - Compliance at a glance - How do you rate (PDF, 0.15 MB)
- Wood dust controlling the risks
- Process for developing safe work procedures (PDF, 0.48 MB)
- Tips for investigating workplace incidents factsheet (Reporting) (PDF, 0.48 MB)
- Emergency Plans fact sheet
- Traffic management general guide and Workplace traffic management information sheet
- Forestry operations guidance material
- Guide to managing risk of fatigue
- Guide to preventing and responding to workplace bullying
- Framework for alcohol and drug management in the workplace (PDF, 0.36 MB)
Templates, forms and registers
- Work health and safety policy template (DOCX, 0.02 MB)
- Record of staff toolbox meeting (DOCX, 0.02 MB)
- Risk management plan – multiple hazards (DOCX, 0.16 MB)
- Risk management plan – single risk template (DOCX, 0.02 MB)
- Safe work procedure template (DOC, 0.08 MB)
- Task analysis template (DOC, 0.05 MB)
- Group training record template (DOCX, 0.02 MB)
- Individual training record template (DOCX, 0.02 MB)
- Induction checklist (DOCX, 0.03 MB)
- Incident investigation form (DOC, 0.07 MB)
- Manual tasks risk management worksheet (PDF, 0.23 MB)
- Onsite traffic management self-assessment tool (PDF, 0.36 MB)
- Form 8 – Application for registration of registrable plant (PDF, 0.19 MB)
- Hazard identification checklist (PDF, 0.03 MB)
- Incident investigation form (DOC, 0.07 MB)