Electrical safety codes of practice
A code of practice provides practical guidance for people who have work health and safety duties. These codes give guidance on:
- how to achieve the standards required under the Act
- effective ways to identify and manage risks.
A code of practice applies to anyone who has a duty of care in the circumstances described in the code. In most cases, following an approved code of practice would achieve compliance with the health and safety duties in the Act, in relation to the subject matter of the code.
Like regulations, codes of practice deal with particular issues and do not cover all hazards or risks which may arise. The health and safety duties require duty holders to consider all risks associated with work, not only those for which regulations and codes of practice exist.
Below are the four codes of practice that relate specifically to electrical safety:
- Electrical safety code of practice 2020 - Electrical equipment rural industry (PDF, 667.78 KB)
- Electrical safety code of practice 2013 - Managing electrical risks in the workplace (PDF, 385.51 KB)
- Electrical safety code of practice 2020 - Working near overhead and underground electric lines (PDF, 476.8 KB)
- Electrical safety code of practice 2020 - Works (PDF, 341.18 KB)
You can also search the full list of codes of practice.
Construction and operation of solar farms Code of Practice 2019
The new Construction and operation of solar farms Code of Practice 2019 commenced on 13 May 2019. The code was amended on 30 September 2019 to remove information referring to repealed section 73A of the Electrical Safety Regulation 2013.
The new code combines existing electrical and work health and safety requirements relating to solar farms. It includes information on what does, and does not, constitute electrical work on solar farms and how designers, constructors and operators of solar farms can comply with their existing safety responsibilities.
- Last updated
- 03 January 2020
We'd love your feedback
WorkCover Queensland accident insurance policy renewal
Pay your premium in full or set up a payment plan quickly and easily online before the 30 September deadline.