What are classified as wages?
When calculating premium, WorkCover requires details of the actual wages paid during the last financial year and the estimated wages you expect to pay in the next financial year.
Payments you must include
The following payments made to your workers need to be declared as wages during premium renewal:
- Total of all PAYG gross salary and wage payments
- All superannuation payments including super salary sacrifice
- Any fringe benefits or other entitlements having a monetary value
- Total of all individual contractors deemed workers (excluding GST)
Payments you should exclude
The following payments are not assessable and should be excluded from the wages you declare:
- Any allowances or expenses reimbursed for work related expenses
- Lump sum termination payments
- Excess period payments
- Compensation payments reimbursed by WorkCover
- All payments to, or in respect of, Directors / Trustees / Partners
The Wages definition manual provides comprehensive detail about whether amounts paid to workers should be declared to WorkCover or not.
- Last updated
- 27 September 2017