Skip links and keyboard navigation

Queensland Government site header

Household worker insurance

WorkCover Queensland's Household Workers' Insurance policy costs $50 for a two-year term.

The current period of insurance runs from 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2018. This is a set time frame where all policies have a common end date irrespective of when the policy commences. The premium is not pro-rated and is discounted to $25 if a policy is taken out less than 12 months before the common end date.

Renewal notices will be sent in late November 2018 or early December 2018. To insure for another two years, simply pay your premium by the due date.

Apply now

Who should I cover?

Paying workers to help you around the home can make you an employer.

If you employ a household worker in, or about, or in connection with your primary place of residence or connected property, it is compulsory to take out a Household Workers' Insurance Policy. This will cover you against potential compensation costs if the worker is injured while working for you.

Who is considered a 'household worker'?

Household workers include cleaners, nannies, baby sitters, gardeners, handymen and in-home carers. Individual sole trader contractors with ABN’s operating their own business may also be considered to be household workers.

A holiday home is considered a private dwelling provided it is not also used as a rental property. Any workers engaged directly by the tenants of a rental property can be covered under a Household Workers' insurance policy. Landlords who engage workers for their rental property, are not covered under a Household Workers' insurance policy and must take out an Accident Insurance policy.

An Accident Insurance Policy is also recommended for homeowners who let out part of their house short term to the public regardless of whether they are living at the property or not.

Check out our FAQs page for scenarios where a Household Worker policy may be required, or call WorkCover on 1300 362 128 to discuss your circumstances with one of our expert advisors.

What if business activities are conducted in a private dwelling?

Operating a business from home does not exclude you from having a Household Workers’ insurance policy. However workers must be engaged in connection with, or in and about, the private dwelling only, and not the business.

If a worker is employed wholly or partly in connection with a business, they cannot be considered a household worker and the employer needs to insure them under an Accident Insurance policy.

Some people use a part of their house or its grounds to conduct their business activities, such as photography studios, architectural services, counselling/therapy services, and farming and other rural enterprises. These areas are not considered a private dwelling as they are not used in the sole capacity as a domestic residence.

Property investors, owner/occupiers and tenants

Whether you’re a home owner or a tenant, be smart and protect yourself against the costs of a claim if your household workers get injured. Check out this table to see which policy is right for your circumstances.

Your status Accident Insurance Policy Household Worker Policy Policy owner
Owner occupier CrossTick Homeowner
House sitter CrossTick


Running a business from a private dwelling with general use and access to public TickCross Business owner
Landlord owning one or more investment properties tickcross Property owner/ Landlord


tick Tenant
Owner occupier letting a room (i.e. boarding) crosstick Homeowner

Sharing economy* (i.e. Airbnb) – owner letting part of house to the public

tickcross Homeowner
Sharing economy* (i.e. Airbnb) – short term letting of entire house to the public tickcross Homeowner

* The sharing economy connects sellers (providers) who offer a service with buyers (users) via a facilitator who operates an app or website. If you provide a sharing economy service, check with the Australian Tax Office to understand your tax obligations.  

Please call us on 1300 362 128 if you have any questions about your insurance requirements. For more information on our Household Workers' Insurance policy, read our product disclosure statement.

Apply for a policy

Last updated
19 January 2018

Request a free Safety advocate visit

Our advocates share their personal stories to remind workers to stop and think about workplace safety.


Request a free Safety advocate visit

Empower your business with new WorkCover Connect features

WorkCover Connect just got even more powerful with the latest updates now live for you! Take a tour of the latest features...