Skip links and keyboard navigation

Queensland Government site header

Work-related injuries

What to do if you are a worker injured at work

If you have been injured at work, you should:

  • seek medical assistance and get a work capacity certificate
  • tell your employer about your injury and provide them with your work capacity certificate as soon as possible
  • lodge your claim, including your work capacity certificate with WorkCover Queensland (or contact your employer if they are self-insured) as soon as possible
  • start your rehabilitation as soon as possible—work has been proven to be beneficial to the recovery process.

What is a work-related injury?

An injury is 'a personal injury arising out of, or in the course of, employment if the employment is a significant contributing factor to the injury.'

Injuries can happen at work, travelling to and from work or while on a break from work. Injuries can also take place if a worker is travelling for work, or visiting other workplaces or sites for the purposes of their job.

Examples of different types of injuries:

Employees may be covered while working from home, as long as the injuries arise out of, or in the course of, employment, and the employment is a significant contributing factor to the injury. Employees may be covered for injuries sustained while working from home and on a recess break.

Each case is reviewed based on the individual facts at the time. Once a claim is made, WorkCover will contact the employer for further information and to notify them that a new claim has been made on their policy. If you have specific queries, please call WorkCover on 1300 362 128.

Make a claim for workers' compensation

Reporting injuries

All employers must report injuries sustained by workers for which workers’ compensation may be payable by their workers’ compensation insurer. Employers should report injuries as soon as possible, but no more than eight business days after becoming aware of the injury.

You must report injuries:

  • regardless of whether the worker makes a claim for workers’ compensation
  • even if you do not agree the injury is compensable.

Instructions on how to report injuries can be found on the make a claim page. Please note, reporting the injury is not the same as making a claim for workers’ compensation.

Further information on an employer's obligations can be found on the reporting injuries page.

Last updated
30 June 2020

We'd love your feedback

WorkCover Queensland accident insurance policy renewal

Pay your premium in full or set up a payment plan quickly and easily online before the 30 September deadline.


Log in to pay your premium

Log in to online services. Pay your premium quickly and easily

Safe Work Month 2020

Register now for FREE virtual events this October.


Safe Work Month 2020