This position involves carrying out regular servicing of machinery, scheduled maintenance, and breakdown repairs of light machinery.
Tasks and tools used
Diesel fitters are required to:
- complete machine inspections
- test machines
- repair machines
- install parts
- refuel machines
- conduct general housekeeping.
Personal protective equipment
- safety glasses
- hearing protection
- steel capped boots
Critical physical job demands and other task requirements
% of time the
- goals must be clear, realistic and achievable
- must have 'buy-in' from the worker
- worker helps to set the goals, and must be answerable if goals are not met (this allows barriers to return to work to be identified at an early stage and obstacles overcome)
- workers need to understand they have an obligation to participate in rehabilitation and return to work as per Section 232 of the Workers' Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003 (the Act).
Return to work suggestions
Worker can begin with light duties and include more tasks as their capacity for work changes. We'll work with all parties, including the treating medical provider, employer and worker to ensure everyone is aware of where the worker is with their rehabilitation and stay at, or return to work.
Note: some tasks are dependent on worker's injury and capacity, and some tasks may require the assistance of a co-worker.
Return to work can begin at home for those having difficulty with transport, medication or if the injury prevents them from returning to work.
If the worker needs to take a break from work, their rehabilitation can still begin at home. Tasks can include:
- video on safety issues can be viewed (lying in bed if injury type requires)
- computer-based programs, CDs or DVD on work-related subjects
- phone-based work
- other worksite inductions
- checking or auditing paperwork, e.g. helping the WHSO audit lost time injuries (LTIs) for a six-month period.
In the event an employer is unable to provide suitable duties, a host placement may be required. If this is the case, the worker may be placed at a different employer in a graduated return to work plan until they're able to 'upgrade' back to his/her pre-injury role with their pre-injury employer.
WorkCover's Recover at Work program places injured workers in short term host employment with employers who have an established track record of successful return to work outcomes with their own workers.