Forklifts and other mobile plant are a significant safety issue in many industries. Workers and bystanders can be seriously injured if these risks are not properly managed. On-site traffic management (OSTM) is a major issue for many different workplaces.
To address its onsite traffic management risks, Carlton United Breweries (CUB) decided to introduce new technology, which it says has been a game changer.
Mobile plant and pedestrians interact on a daily basis at CUB. Following a risk assessment, CUB identified numerous safety hazards associated with these interactions and determined greater control measures were needed.
What was the risk?
- personnel and visitors were accessing high-risk mobile plant areas of the site, such as the warehouse storage and vehicle loading zones
- there were uncontrolled mobile plant traffic flows on site, creating risk to persons and damage to property.
What was the solution?
- CUB invested and introduced an Automated Guided Vehicle (AGV) system
- the AGVs detect people and other objects in close proximity and stop forklifts immediately.
What was the outcome?
- CUB reported reduced risk and improved workplace safety to its workers and others in and around areas where mobile plant operates
- the risk of forklifts colliding with and causing damage to other vehicles and objects was also reduced.
For more information to help manage OSTM risks at your workplace, check-out these resources:
- Auto guided vehicles case study: Carlton United Breweries
- Onsite traffic management campaign
- Injury Prevention and Management (IPaM) program - For tailored assistance from a WHSQ Industry Strategy advisor.