Farmers and rural producers have an opportunity to show the rest of Queensland how they are working safer and smarter, with nominations now open for the Safe Work and Return to Work Awards 2019.
If you have a success story in agriculture to share, or know of an organisation or individual that deserves to be recognised for their achievements in work health and safety or rehabilitation and return to work, enter or nominate now. There's a share in $24,000 prize money up for grabs.
The awards continue to grow and this year is no different with a major new category - Best demonstrated healthy and safe work design. If your initiative, program or solution demonstrates good work design and goes beyond compliance you could be nominated by the judges for this category.
Rural producers have a proud record at the awards and last year the Rolleston-based Christmas Creek Cattle Company took out two major awards – Best solution to an identified work health and safety issue, as well as Best demonstrated leadership in work health and safety.
The company identified safety risks to workers and animals while crossing the busy Carnarvon Highway after the road was upgraded to a sealed highway and the speed limit increased to 110km/hr.
The company's solution was to use the large culverts under the highway, enabling livestock to be moved from one property to another without crossing the highway. After applying to the local council and the Department of Transport and Main Roads, the culverts were approved to be used as a cattle crossing, once the company installed fencing, gateways and fixings.
Queensland Safety Ambassador Shane Webcke, who has strong links to rural Queensland, has urged agriculture industry producers to step up and share their innovations with the rest of the state. This year's winners will be announced by Shane at a gala ceremony on Wednesday 9 October.
This year's categories are:
- Category 1 – Best solution to an identified health and safety issue
- Category 2 – Best individual contribution to work health and safety
- Category 3 – Best solution to an identified electrical safety issue
- Category 4 – Most significant improvement to work health and safety performance
- Category 5 – Best commitment to work health and wellbeing
- Category 6 – Best demonstrated leadership in work health and safety (Closed category – entrants for this category are chosen by the judging panels from categories one to five)
- Category 7 – Injured worker achievement award (serious injury and return to work)
- Category 8 – Best rehabilitation and return to work management system
- Category 9 – Best individual contribution to rehabilitation and return to work
- Category 10 – Best demonstrated leadership in return to work (Closed category – entrants for this category are chosen by the judging panels from categories seven to nine)
- New Category 11 - Best demonstrated healthy and safe work design (Closed category – entrants for this category are chosen by the judging panels from categories one to five or seven to nine).
Entries close Friday 21 June 2019.
Interested in sponsoring the awards?
Sponsoring the Awards is an excellent opportunity for your business to receive targeted brand exposure through a variety of communication channels, as well as tickets to the awards ceremony, on-stage presentations to winners and an information stand at the ceremony.
To find out more email email@example.com