Skip to content

Are you restructuring your electrical contracting business?

Are you considering restructuring your business? Do you hold an electrical contractor licence as an individual, partnership or corporation? If you answered yes, then you may need a new electrical contractor licence.

The trigger for requiring an application for a new electrical contractor licence is a change of entity (for example - changing from an individual to corporation or corporation to an individual licence).

New licence applications require a nominated qualified technical person (QTP) or qualified business person (QBP) to meet new training requirements introduced on 1 July 2018.

QTP nominees will also need to have held a current Queensland electrical work licence for at least two years. Plus, you'll need to ensure you have public liability insurance in your entity’s name that meets the requirements of section 51 of the Electrical Safety Regulation 2013.

Restructuring a business is complex and things can get overlooked. If you've already restructured, don't panic, contact us on 1300 632 993 for assistance with your licensing requirements.

Further information

For more information refer to the Electrical licensing eligibility guide (PDF, 0.67 MB).