Skip to content

Testing and tagging update

Electrical safety regulation requires testing and tagging to be carried out by a competent person. It is the duty of the PCBU to determine whether or not someone is competent to perform the work.

As a minimum, PCBUs should consider evidence of units of competency such as UEERL0003 - Conduct in-service safety testing of electrical cord connected equipment and cord assemblies. Other things to look for include recent experience in testing and tagging work for non-licensed workers, or evidence they hold an electrical work licence such as an electrical mechanic, electrical fitter, or a relevant restricted electrical work licence with experience.

As a business - holders of restricted electrical contractor licences

PCBUs who perform testing and tagging work as part of a business or undertaking must hold an electrical contractor licence permitting that work. If you do not hold any electrical contractor licence, you will need to contact the Electrical Safety Office to discuss your licensing requirements.

If you hold a restricted electrical contractor licence and intend to perform testing and tagging work as part of your business, you need to determine whether your contractor licence allows you to undertake that work or if an additional endorsement is required.

Remember, the scope of electrical work able to be performed by your business is limited to the scope of work of your restricted contractor licence, which is determined by the licence of your nominated qualified technical person (QTP). For example, where a QTP is the holder of a restricted electrical work licence limited to electronic equipment, the restricted electrical contractor licence will only allow work on electronic equipment.

If the business wishes to perform electrical work on all types of electrical equipment (including testing and tagging work), additional endorsements on the contractor licence are required.

If your restricted electrical contractor licence is only endorsed for testing and tagging work, you are not permitted to perform electrical repairs to equipment.

Testing of PPE and safety equipment

Voltage testing of non-electrical equipment, such as insulated gloves, insulating mats, crooks, insulated telescopic sticks or EWPs, is not considered electrical work.

PCBUs must ensure that people performing the tests are trained and competent to do so in accordance with the relevant standards for the equipment. Processes will also need to be put in place to manage electrical risks when tests are performed; this might include establishing dedicated testing areas in the workshop or establishing exclusion zones when testing on-site.

Further information

Read more electrical guidance and testing advice.