An outrigger on a mobile concrete placing boom failed when it sheared at the leg box. Nobody was injured as a result of the incident, but the potential for tragic consequences was very real.
An investigation is ongoing and the cause at this stage is unknown. However, there are a number of general measures that can be followed to ensure the structural integrity of mobile concrete placing booms, including the following.
- Operating the unit in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Conducting major inspections at the required intervals in accordance with the criteria set out by the manufacturer and the Concrete Pumping Code of Practice 2019.
- Conducting annual inspections in accordance with the criteria set out by the manufacturer.
- Completing pre-operational inspections prior to each use of the unit.
- Carrying out routine maintenance inspections in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Performing servicing and repairs also as set out by the manufacturer.
Read the Concrete Pumping Code of Practice 2019 (PDF, 1.97 MB).