Category eight – Best rehabilitation and return to work management system
Bunnings has a proactive and holistic approach to the care and recovery of injured team members and understands that remaining at work or returning to work is part of the recovery journey.
The BSAFE System contains a comprehensive list of policy and procedures that support the vision of 'Nobody Gets Hurt'. The dedicated page for injury management is titled 'Back to life – return to work'. This contains a workers' compensation pack, 'Understanding workers' compensation' brochure for injured team members, a 'job dictionary' with detailed duties lists to support suitable duties, and a 'Return to work organiser toolkit'.
Bunnings' rehabilitation and return to work initiatives are:
- '5 Steps to Care and Recovery', which reminds workers and leaders to report every incident, obtain first aid and seek medical attention (if required), stay in touch with injured workers and encourages return to work and recover at work practices
- 'Leading safety' training and 'A Leadership Guide to Injury Management' that focuses on fostering a positive return to work culture by offering support and aims for a safe, early return to work
- 'Supporting mental health' training program for leaders
- “Mind matters” cards, designed to provide tips and tricks on how to enhance mental wellbeing
- an early intervention program to help prevent or prevent an increase in muscular pain and discomfort through access to free physiotherapy treatment.
Bunnings has seen a 35 per cent reduction in its workers' compensation insurance premium (2014–15 to 2017–18); a 26 per cent reduction in the number of injured team members nationally; a 58 per cent reduction in the number of manual handling injuries; and a 33 per cent reduction in hand lacerations.