Category four – Most significant improvement to work health and safety performance
Verifact provides commercial investigations, security, health, emergency response, and traffic management services. A health and safety review identified that the company's lost time injury frequency rate was 34.6 and averaging at least one per month. Most injuries were sustained by lead traffic controllers.
In response, the company focused on driving good behaviour in a consultative and empowered environment. This involved:
- establishing a safety committee
- overhauling of the health and safety manual
- providing health and safety training for managers
- reviewing the fatigue management policy to suit industry and ageing workforce
- review rostering patterns
- changing staff measures to include leading safety indicators
- improving safety communication
- introducing a hazard observation tool
- reviewing the design and fitout of all traffic control utility vehicles.
Since implementing these changes, participation rates amongst workers and management has improved with an ever increasing number of hazard observations reported. The company conducts regular safety surveys as part of monitoring and continuous improvement.
Traffic control communication training