Category four – Most significant improvement to work health and safety performance
After identifying a culture of poor reporting around minor incidents, hazard observations and near miss events, Decmil Australia made improvements to its operations and safety system including:
- communicating the importance of incident/near miss reporting
- reviewing targeted inspections, specific to each project
- implementing a behavioural based safety program
- providing hazard identification cards and setting measures for the entire team.
These changes are sustained, monitored and evaluated through Decmil's SHIELD program (Safety and Health in Every Level at Decmil). The company's health, safety and environment achievements since 2014 include:
- 500 days lost time incident free in April 2017
- seven months recordable incident free on 10 June 2017 for the QGC Project team (current QGC Project TRIFR is 0.00)
- improved communications and successful adoption of the new processes by employees including incident and near miss reporting.
Decmil Queensland Gas Company team