Category two – Best individual contribution to work health and safety
This award recognises individuals who have made an exceptional contribution to work health and safety. This may include developing and implementing a safety solution, system, product, program or other risk control measure that reduces the risk of work related injury and disease.
Check the criteria for category seven, Best demonstrated leadership in work health and safety and keep these in mind when you're preparing your entry.
Finalists for category seven will be nominated by the judging panels for categories one to six and twelve, with all entries that demonstrate strong leadership in work health and safety eligible for nomination.
(Note: This information is in the online entry form)
View the category two example entry (PDF, 0.44 MB).
- Describe the nominee's role. Who/what are they responsible for? What are their day-to-day activities?
- Detail the nominee's health and safety contributions. Who do they affect, and how do they affect the overall operation of the business?
- Detail any barriers the nominee experienced and how they overcame them (e.g. difficulty gaining management support, convincing staff to use the initiative, finding external suppliers or supporters).
- How did the nominee communicate and consult with staff and management about the changes? Contributes to leadership category eligibility.
- How did the nominee gain the support of staff and management? Contributes to leadership category eligibility.
- Provide evidence of how the nominee directly improved injury rates, workers' compensation premiums, housekeeping/site appearance, and monitoring, assessment and reporting processes.
- Has the nominee improved attitudes towards safety and work health and safety culture? (Consider management commitment, worker involvement, ongoing training, monitoring, and legacy of the improvements).
- Was the solution a higher order of control?
- Describe the challenges or barriers that they face in their role and how they overcame them (e.g. business size, resources, geography).
- Is there potential for the nominee's contribution to have broader application across industry? How? Contributes to leadership category eligibility.
- Detail the time, effort and dedication they spent achieving the improvements.