This award recognises excellence in developing and implementing a solution to an identified work health and safety issue. This may include a product solution, design/engineering innovation, training program, awareness raising activity or other risk control measure that addresses a specific work health and safety issue, reducing the risk of work related injury and disease.
Check the criteria for category seven, Best demonstrated leadership in work health and safety and keep these in mind when you're preparing your entry.
Finalists for category seven will be nominated by the judging panels for categories one to six and twelve, with all entries that demonstrate strong leadership in work health and safety eligible for nomination.
(Note: This information is in the online entry form)
View the example entry for category one (PDF, 0.43 MB).
- What was the issue?
- How did you know it was an issue (e.g. injuries, lost productivity, feedback, complaints)?
- How did it impact the organisation (consider its impact on safety, operations, productivity, costs and suppliers)?
- Explain how you investigated the issue, identified the hazards and assessed the risks.
- Provide a timeline for the development of the solution, from identification to implementation.
- Was the hierarchy of control applied to the development of the solution? (See page 14 of How to Manage Work Health and Safety Risks Code of Practice 2011 (PDF, 1.02 MB) for more information).
- Explain how you involved, engaged and consulted stakeholders, for example, the workers, management, design/manufacturer, experts (if necessary) and supply chain. Contributes to leadership category eligibility.
- Describe how the solution works (include photos or videos if possible).
- Provide any examples of challenges or barriers involved and how you overcame them (e.g. business size, resources, geography)?
- Explain how the solution was monitored and evaluated (testing, evaluation, adjustment)? Detail any hurdles experienced and how they were overcome.
- What learnings were identified?
- Explain the effect the solution had on the workplace and how this was measured e.g. training, morale, productivity and safety culture. Contributes to leadership category eligibility.
- Provide evidence of how the solution has directly reduced or eliminated risks, improved injury rates, workers' compensation premiums, housekeeping/site appearance, and monitoring, assessment and reporting processes. Contributes to leadership category eligibility.
- Can (or has) the solution been applied and adapted in other workplaces, and if so, what feedback have you received? Contributes to leadership category eligibility.