Skip links and keyboard navigation

Queensland Government site header

What happens when a claim is ceased?

WorkCover Queensland carefully considers the facts presented when making a decision to stop payments for treatment or compensation. We consider if the necessary and reasonable treatment has been provided and whether you are able to work due to the accepted work related injury.

Payments may be stopped for different reasons. For example, if you have received all appropriate treatment for your work-related injury, however require additional treatment for a pre-existing or non work-related condition or injury, WorkCover Queensland will be unable to pay for the additional treatment. This will be determined on medical evidence.

We care for our customers and want to make the best decisions for everyone. Before making a decision to not pay for any further treatment or compensation, your customer advisor will carefully consider all of the facts. They will also consult with a senior advisor before finalising their decision and informing you of the outcome.

Your customer advisor will always explain their decision to you. If requested, a letter can also be sent to you explaining why your treatment and/or compensation has been ceased. You should talk to your customer advisor if you have questions. You can also ask to speak to a manager or lodge a complaint through WorkCover's internal complaints process. If you are unsatisfied with the outcomes of these steps, you can lodge a request for a review with the Workers' Compensation Regulator.

What you can do

  • talk to your health insurance provider about whether they can cover the costs of your treatment
  • talk to your superannuation fund to see if you have sickness and accident coverage
  • talk to your doctor about treatment options in the public system
  • consider funding the treatment yourself
  • if your injury was the result of a motor vehicle accident, contact your compulsory third party insurer.

Additional services available for psychological and psychiatric conditions

Talk to your doctor about access to public treatment options including the Mental Health Care Plan or contact your community mental health care service.

Other useful service providers include:

  • Lifeline 24 hour counselling: 13 11 14
  • Salvo Careline 24 hour counselling: 1300 36 36 22
  • Beyondblue Info Line: 1300 22 463
  • Sane Australia: 1800 18 SANE (7263).

If you are not able to work due to a non work-related injury

  • talk to your employer about accessing your sick leave entitlement
  • talk to your income protection insurer
  • talk to your superannuation fund as you may have sickness and accident cover
  • talk to Centrelink.

Call us on 1300 362 128, or speak to your claims representative or customer advisor directly if you have any questions about your workers' compensation claim.

Last updated
15 February 2016

Empower your business with new WorkCover Connect features

WorkCover Connect just got even more powerful with the latest updates now live for you! Take a tour of the latest features...


Request a free Safety advocate visit

Our advocates share their personal stories to remind workers to stop and think about workplace safety.


Request a free Safety advocate visit