Skip links and keyboard navigation

Queensland Government site header

Lump sum payments

A work-related injury or disease may result in a temporary or permanent impairment resulting in:

  • loss of efficient use of part of the body, or
  • loss of part of the body.

A permanent impairment is one that remains stable and stationary after a period of time and is not likely to improve with further treatment. If a worker has a permanent impairment as a result of their work-related injury, they may be entitled to lump-sum compensation.

A worker may ask to be assessed for permanent impairment or WorkCover Queensland may decide to have the worker assessed. The percentage of permanent impairment is used to calculate offers of lump-sum compensation.

  • Do I need a solicitor?
    • No, you are not required to have a solicitor to apply for permanent impairment assessment, as the decision of percentage is a medical decision made by an independent doctor.
  • Who determines how much money I am entitled to?
  • Can I get the decision reviewed?
    • If you do not agree with the assessment percentage, you can elect to be assessed by the Medical Assessment Tribunal at the Workers' Compensation Regulator.
Last updated
15 February 2016

WorkCover Queensland accident insurance policy renewal

Pay your premium in full or set up an interest free payment plan quickly and easily online before the 30 September deadline.


Log in to pay your premium

Log in to online services. Pay your premium quickly and easily

Safe Work Month 2018

Registrations are now open for Safe Work Month events across Queensland this October.


Safe Work Month 2018