Skip links and keyboard navigation

Queensland Government site header

Common law entitlements and payments


Common law payments or damages are a monetary payment made to compensate for the losses sustained as a consequence of a work-related injury.

WorkCover Queensland is only required to make these payments if an injured worker can prove their employer has breached their duty of care to them to provide a safe, documented and supervised system of work. This is often referred to as negligence and/or a breach of an implied term in any contract of employment to provide a safe system of work.

The Workers' Compensation and Rehabilitation Act (2003) sets out eligibility requirements and time frames for the common law claim process. WorkCover aims to achieve settlements or key milestones within the nominated time frames.

Best Offer

WorkCover is committed to managing common law claims in accordance with model litigant principles. Our philosophy of making our "best offer" early is part of our "firm but fair" approach to claims management. It also helps us achieve better outcomes for all of our customers.

Components that make up a damages payment

Damages are calculated by considering where an injured worker has suffered loss as a result of the injury. These include:

  • pain and suffering
  • past wages or economic loss including interest and loss of superannuation contributions
  • future wages or economic loss including future loss of superannuation contributions
  • past and future medical, hospital, pharmaceutical, rehabilitation, domestic assistance and care expenses.

How damages benefits are calculated

When calculating the amount that a damages claim is worth the following evidence will be considered:

  • worker's age
  • where the worker lives and works
  • retirement age
  • past and current work history
  • medical records
  • independent medical examinations and reports obtained by WorkCover Queensland and worker's solicitor during the statutory and common law claims
  • Medicare and Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) records
  • tax and financial documents including copies of PAYG Summaries, previous tax returns and Australian Tax Office Notice of Assessments
  • Centrelink records
  • employer records including payroll and personnel file information
  • tax invoices and receipts for expenses incurred as a consequence of the work related injury.

WorkCover will also take into consideration previous damages amounts paid on common law cases that are similar in nature to the current common law claim, for example age, work type, location, type and extent of injury etc.

Resolution process

WorkCover will attempt to resolve the claim with the injured worker and their solicitor as part of the pre-court process which is set out in the legislation. WorkCover will aim to do this informally as this process is more cost effective for the parties. If this cannot be achieved a more formal process called a settlement conference will need to be undertaken.

If a resolution of the claim cannot be achieved at any of the above stages then the matter will proceed to litigation and potentially to court.

How are common law damages benefits paid?

Your solicitor will inform you:

  • when the claim has settled and the amount of the settlement
  • the legal fees and claim expenses incurred in managing the claim
  • whether we will be paying any costs in addition to the settlement amount.

Before we can pay the settlement to your solicitors' trust account (held on your behalf), we need to:

  • obtain a signed discharge from you, and
  • work out the exact amount of the settlement payment.

You'll need to sign a discharge document to confirm the settlement. By signing the discharge, you acknowledge you have no further entitlement to any monies from WorkCover Queensland or the employer for the work-related injuries. Your solicitor will explain the details of the discharge to you before they sign it.

We are required by law to deduct any amounts (also known as refunds) that are owed to the following organisations: 

  • Health Insurance Commission (HIC) or Medicare
  • Centrelink
  • Commonwealth Rehabilitation Service (CRS)
  • Child Support Agency (CSA)

WorkCover must obtain these notices confirming the amounts owing—even if we are sure there'll be no refund owing. Your solicitor may also obtain these notices.

We also deduct any outstanding monies owed to WorkCover due to overpayments made during any previous statutory claims, such as overpayment of wages or reimbursement of medical expenses.

Once we receive the notices, we deduct any amounts from the settlement total and forward refund monies direct to the relevant organisations.

We then forward the balance as a settlement payment to the solicitors' trust account.

Legal costs

The entitlement to claim back additional costs depends on the work-related impairment (WRI) as assessed by WorkCover. The amount that can be claimed is determined by legislation. Anything above the specified amount will need to be paid by the worker to their solicitor. This amount will be included in the settlement payment to the worker's solicitors.

The worker's solicitors will then deduct their fees and costs, before paying the remainder of the settlement payment to the worker.

Last updated
15 February 2016

Empower your business with new WorkCover Connect features

WorkCover Connect just got even more powerful with the latest updates now live for you! Take a tour of the latest features...


Request a free Safety advocate visit

Our advocates share their personal stories to remind workers to stop and think about workplace safety.


Request a free Safety advocate visit