What happens if a claim is not accepted?
WorkCover Queensland carefully considers the facts presented when making decisions to either accept or reject an application for compensation. We must consider if you are:
- a Queensland worker
- whether your application has been lodged in time
- whether a work-related event caused your injury.
Based on the facts presented, we determine if we will accept or reject your claim. If your application is not accepted, your claims representative will speak to you and explain the decision that has been made. A letter will be sent to you explaining the information considered and the reason why your application was not accepted. You should talk to your claims representative after reading this letter if you have any questions. You can also ask to speak to a manager or lodge a complaint through WorkCover's internal process. This letter will also outline your review rights through the Workers' Compensation Regulator.
What you can do
- talk to your health insurance provider about whether they can cover the costs of your treatment
- talk to your superannuation fund or income protection insurer to see if you have sickness and accident coverage
- talk to your doctor about treatment options in the public system
- consider funding the treatment yourself
- if your injury was the result of a motor vehicle accident, contact your compulsory third party insurer
- if you are a victim of a violent crime, you can contact Victim Assist Queensland for support (including possible financial support).
Additional services may be available for psychological and psychiatric conditions
- talk to your doctor about access to public treatment options including the Mental Health Care Plan or contact your community mental health care service
- other useful service providers include:
- Lifeline 24 hour counselling: 13 11 14
- Salvo Careline 24 hour counselling: 1300 36 36 22
- Beyondblue Info Line: 1300 22 4636
- Sane Australia: 1800 18 SANE (7263).
If you are unable to work due to a non-work related injury
- talk to your employer about accessing your sick leave entitlement
- talk to your income protection insurer
- talk to your superannuation fund as you may have sickness and accident cover
- talk to Centrelink.
Call us on 1300 362 128, or speak to your claims representative or customer advisor directly if you have any questions about your claim with us.
- Last updated
- 15 February 2016
WorkCover Queensland accident insurance policy renewal
Pay your premium in full or set up an interest free payment plan quickly and easily online before the 30 September deadline.