Skip links and keyboard navigation

Queensland Government site header

Fatal claims

When a person has died as a result of a work-related event or latent onset injury, a claim can be made by their family or by a person defined as a 'dependant' under the Workers' Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003.

A death in the workplace is always investigated by Workplace Health and Safety Queensland - to find out what happened and to look at means of prevention for the future. More information is available in the death in a workplace guide developed by Workplace Health and Safety Queensland.

Lodging a claim with WorkCover

We understand it can be a difficult time for family members after losing someone in a workplace accident. Due to the sensitive nature of this type of claim, we encourage you to call us on 1300 362 128 to lodge the claim. It may be helpful to ask someone such as a family member or friend to help you.

Compensation for a fatal injury may include lump-sum or quarterly payments for dependants, as well as reasonable expenses to cover the cost of a funeral.

There are a number of documents WorkCover will need from you when claiming for dependency. These help us to determine:

  • the cause of death
  • the relationship to the deceased person, and
  • the dependency to the deceased person.

Medical evidence to show cause of death

When making a claim for a fatal injury, you need to provide us with a workers' compensation medical certificate. This is the best evidence of a worker's death. If you don't have a medical certificate, we require one of the following documents:

  • the autopsy (post mortem) report
  • the death certificate, or
  • the report of a Coroner's Inquest.

In some circumstances we may also use ambulance, hospital, or other medical records.

Proving a relationship to the deceased person

To show you are a 'member of the family' of the deceased person, you must provide the following:

  • for a wife/husband—a marriage certificate 
  • for a defacto spouse—proof of the defacto relationship for example;
    • joint bank accounts
    • joint ownership of property
    • utilities accounts in both names
  • for a dependent child, whether a child or grandchild of the deceased worker—a birth certificate 
  • for a dependent child over the age of 16—proof of full time education
  • for a foster child—relevant documentation from the Department of Children's Services.

Proving dependency

If claiming for dependency on the deceased worker, we'll need to establish the 'reasonable and proportionate' monetary value of the loss of dependence. WorkCover will look at the household income for both you and the deceased person rather than just wages when calculating this. The documents we need include:

  • tax returns for the deceased worker and the applicant for the three years prior to the date of death 
  • copies of letters setting out the amount to be paid under a child support order
  • bank statements of both parties to identify:
    • monies being transferred from the deceased person's account to the applicants account 
    • payments for groceries and utilities
    • the level of the applicant's income.

We'll also take a statement covering matters such as:

  • how long the dependency has existed and how it came about
  • the basis for sharing day to day expenses
  • the claimant's income
  • whether the claimant suffers from any disability
  • the claimant's estimate of the monetary value of the loss of dependence
  • any proof that the deceased worker was providing monetary support
  • how long the dependency would have continued if not for the worker's death
  • whether the claimant and the deceased worker jointly own any property.

Latent onset injuries

In cases where the person has died as a result of a latent onset injury, such as mesothelioma or malignant skin cancer, we need to determine whether the deceased person was a 'worker' during the period of exposure.

WorkCover will need to gather relevant information about the deceased person including:

  • a statement from the applicant about the deceased person's work history and relevant exposure
  • copies of documents such as articles of indenture or apprenticeship, taxation returns or other financial documents showing payment of wages, union membership during the period of exposure and any other documentation about employment that may be available
  • where there is no documentary proof of employment, statements from co-workers.

Other documents we need

WorkCover will request the following documents following the death of a worker:

  • the Will of the deceased person, if applicable
  • Grant of Probate if there is one—this document is issued by the Supreme Court
  • Letters of Administration if there is one—this document is issued by the Supreme Court in circumstances where the person died without a Will.

For further information regarding fatal claims, including dependency information call WorkCover Queensland on 1300 362 128.

Last updated
17 October 2017

Empower your business with new WorkCover Connect features

WorkCover Connect just got even more powerful with the latest updates now live for you! Take a tour of the latest features...


Request a free Safety advocate visit

Our advocates share their personal stories to remind workers to stop and think about workplace safety.


Request a free Safety advocate visit