Medical Advisory Panel review
As part of our ongoing commitment to improve our services, we’re undertaking a review of our Medical Advisory Panel (MAP). Part of the review includes our desire to align the expectations for the MAP with our corporate strategies and values. As such, we will be expanding the MAP to include a broader range of services which has resulted in a name change from the Medical Advisory Panel (MAP), to the Medical and Allied Health panel (MAHP).
Key changes to the MAHP include splitting the Psychiatry specialty area into PTSD and non-PTSD, separating all sub-specialties for the Orthopaedic area, and inviting new offers for Pain Physicians, Rehabilitation Physicians, ENT, Oral and Maxillofacial specialists, and Physiotherapists (potentially a Tier 3 or other qualification to be confirmed in the tender documents) to join the panel.
The MAHP is a team of practitioners who work alongside WorkCover Queensland to provide valuable assistance with our rehabilitation and return to work goals through providing professional comment in the following areas:
- Reviewing treatment requests to ensure they are evidence based, appropriate and required due to the work related condition or injury;
- Reviewing surgery requests (including item codes) to ensure they are evidence based, appropriate and required due to the work related condition or injury;
- Complex claim reviews and advice to WorkCover staff to help develop rehabilitation and return to work strategies;
- Advice to WorkCover staff about communicating with treating practitioners about treatment;
- Medical report reviews/evaluation (including GEPI report reviews);
- Provide peer to peer feedback to other practitioners as required, including discussing feedback about report findings and assessments with reporting practitioners;
- Attend or present forums/educational sessions to our people or other stakeholders; and
- Helping us develop our injury management and return to work programs and strategies.
The current MAP arrangement expires at the end of February 2020. To ensure WorkCover has the best possible coverage across a broader range of services, we will advertise for new MAHP members through an open tender which will start in mid-September.
We will provide a simple, streamlined process and to ensure the review of offers is fair and reasonable. To ensure panel decisions are based on a strong understanding of market factors, four external advisors (EA) have been appointed to assist WorkCover with the evaluation process. The EAs have been selected from various medical and allied health areas (Psychiatry, Physiotherapy, Orthopaedic and Occupational Physician).
More information, including timeframes and the selection criteria, will be available in the coming weeks on our website. The final tender will be published on the QTenders website.
- Last updated
- 06 September 2019