In April 2020, we started a blitz on unlicensed electrical work being advertised and performed through online platforms.
AirTasker was the first to be targeted with:
- 64 advertising for electrical work audits
- 15 infringement notices issued
- 60 improvement notices issued.
In November 2020 we started reviewing advertising for electrical work using hipages, resulting in 2,607 ads being checked. Enforcement strategies are being prepared for Gumtree, Oneflare, Facebook and Service Seeking.
Our innovative investigative strategies have led to some successful outcomes, including:
- two search warrants sought and issued by a Magistrate to search the premises of unlicensed electrical contractors to seize vital evidence
- a court injunction against SERVICE2GO Pty Ltd for repeatedly failing to comply with improvement notices issued for unlicensed electrical contracting. Based on the material presented and admissions from the company director, Magistrate Turner acknowledged the business deliberately performed electrical contracting without a licence under the Electrical Safety Act 2002 and had failed to comply with an improvement notice issued by ESO inspectors
- six unlicensed electrical work cases being reviewed by Queensland’s independent Work Health and Safety Prosecutor
- eleven electrical safety protection notices issued
- five infringement notices issued
- 60 improvement notices issued
- two cases referred to the Electrical Licensing Committee.
- one case referred to Statewide Investigations, with consideration of reckless conduct.
Five matters are still under investigation with our compliance unit.