Amendments to the regulation
The Work Health and Safety and Other Legislation Amendment Regulation (No. 1) 2016 - Explanatory Notes (amendment Regulation) commenced on 9 December 2016.
The amendment Regulation includes the following amendments:
Implementation of the Globally Harmonised System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS)
Ensures a smooth transition to the GHS by:
- clarifying that a PBCU who is an end user of a hazardous chemical can continue to use, store and handle non-GHS labelled hazardous chemicals manufactured or imported before 1 January 2017 and labelled in accordance with the NOHSC or the ADG Code;
- clarifying that it is not necessary to include duplicate label elements required by other labelling laws providing it does not decrease the level of protection or information in relation to the hazards of the chemical; and
- exempting Schedules 4 and 8 veterinary medicines from Work Health and Safety (WHS) labelling requirements when they are in a form intended for direct administration to animals for therapeutic purposes.
Information sharing arrangements
Prescribes a list of Acts to provide certainty when disclosure of confidential information is considered necessary for the administration or enforcement of another Act.
Infringement notice offences
Implements 18 new infringement notice (PIN) offences for existing work health and safety offences in key risk areas such as asbestos, hazardous chemicals and construction work..
Electrical Safety Regulation 2013 (ES Regulation) and the Safety in Recreational Water Activities Regulation 2011 (SRWA Regulation)
The amendment regulation:
- Prescribes a list of Acts to provide certainty when disclosure of confidential information is considered necessary for the administration or enforcement of another Act;
- Makes minor and technical amendments to the ES Regulation to update references including the replacement of “guidelines” with “standards” in section 24(4)(a).
- Last updated
- 02 July 2018
We'd love your feedback
Codes of Practice are now an enforceable standard to manage hazards and risks
A Work Health and Safety inspector may refer to an approved code of practice when issuing an improvement or prohibition notice.
WorkCover Queensland accident insurance policy renewal
Pay your premium in full or set up a payment plan quickly and easily online before the 30 September deadline.