Onsite traffic management project
Workplaces in the construction, manufacturing, transport and agriculture industries will be the focus of a statewide assessment campaign starting in July 2016 targeting traffic management.
The project aims to reduce the rate of fatalities and severity of injuries involving people being hit by mobile plant and vehicles at Queensland workplaces.
As part of the project, Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ) inspectors will visit workplaces to raise awareness of the risks and help them implement effective traffic management strategies.
Who is this campaign targeting?
The campaign is statewide. Inspectors will be visiting workplaces predominantly in the construction, agriculture, manufacturing, transport and logistics industries where there is mobile plant (e.g. forklifts, elevating work platforms, order pickers, earthmoving equipment, cranes) or other vehicle traffic (e.g. cars, trucks).WHSQ may contact you prior to visiting your workplace.
When can my business expect a visit?
Worksite assessments will occur in three phases:
- Phase one - July to September 2016.
- Phase two – March to May 2017.
- Phase three – September to October 2017.
What can my business do to prepare and participate?
There are a range of resources that you can download and use in your workplace to improve your traffic management strategies and prepare for a visit.
- Onsite traffic management project – phase 1 report (PDF, 801.7 KB)
- Onsite traffic management project - phase 2 report (PDF, 1303 KB)
- Onsite traffic management self- assessment tool (PDF, 314.87 KB)
- Onsite traffic management workplace presentation (PPTX, 1270.81 KB)
- Safe Work Australia guidance material for traffic management
- Traffic Management for Construction or Maintenance Work Code of Practice 2008 (PDF, 749.58 KB)
- SafeWork NSW Take forking safety seriously - Safety guide for people working near forklifts (PDF, 697KB)
Forklift safety films - SafeWork NSW
- Forklift load handling
- Forklifts hitting pedestrians safety alert
- Loading pallets onto a truck safely
- Unloading pallets from a truck tray safely
- Moving around safely during loading and unloading
Want to share your workplace achievements?
If your workplace has effective traffic management practices and you would like to share your achievements through a case study, please contact us on (07) 3874 7687 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Last updated
- 31 October 2017
MSD symposium 2017 presentations now available
Listen to a range of presentations from the MSD symposium 2017 with national and international speakers addressing the latest approaches to musculoskeletal disorders.