Formwork Code of Practice 2016 commences 31 March 2016
The Formwork Code of Practice 2016 (PDF, 1625.4 KB) was approved by the Minister for Employment and Industrial Relations and commences on 31 March 2016.
The updates to the existing Formwork Code of Practice 2006 will ensure it is:
- responsive to industry needs and safety concerns
- current best practice in formwork safety management
- consistent with the model work health and safety laws implemented in Queensland in 2012.
A comparison table (PDF, 909.82 KB) outlines the updates made to the Formwork Code of Practice 2016 which are mostly minor and technical in nature and reflect current best practice.
Key changes include:
- Inserting a new risk-based approach to formwork design, certification and inspection requirements (see section 2.2 – Formwork systems) so that height and volume are the key factors for determining when engineer sign off is required.
- Clarifying that stair tread systems are to be used as the primary means of access to a working deck where practicable (see section 4.5 – Use of stair tread systems and ladders).
- Clarifying that imported material for traditional formwork systems will require certification that it conforms with relevant Australian Standards (see section 2.2 – Materials – traditional formwork.
The Formwork Code of Practice 2016 will apply to new construction on or from 31 March 2016. New or significantly modified obligations will not be applied retrospectively (e.g. where a construction contract has already been entered into and new obligations were not factored into the design).
Free information sessions were held statewide during March 2016.
Download the Formwork Code of Practice 2016 presentation (PDF, 421.68 KB).
For more information download the Formwork Code of Practice comparison table (PDF, 909.82 KB).
- Last updated
- 18 July 2017