Assess the risk
Many slips and trips are the results of poor housekeeping, and this is often a sign of a lack of clear systems and responsibilities for storage, maintenance and cleaning. For example:
- things spilt and left on the floor
- items left out or extending onto walkways or work areas
- flooring, carpet or mats in a poor state of repair or uneven
- poor or broken lighting in work areas and walkways.
Decide on control measures
To achieve a tidy workplace that is free from slip, trip and fall hazards you need:
- suitable storage systems
- spill management systems
- routine and spot cleaning
- maintenance schedules
- repairing or replacing carpet flooring that is uneven, buckling, peeling or curled
- repairing or replacing hard surfaces that are uneven, cracked, blistered and with height irregularities.
All walkways should be kept clear and suitably illuminated, keeping all items off the floor through storage or cable management systems etc. Where objects cannot be moved, highlight them (e.g. yellow paint on edges of large equipment).
- Last updated
- 04 April 2017
Get ready to renew your policy from 1 July
WorkCover Queensland’s accident insurance policies are due for renewal from 1 July–31 August each year. Read up on everything you need to know to get ready for policy renewal.