Managing respirable crystalline silica dust exposure in the stone benchtop industry information sessions
Silicosis is preventable by using proper controls to eliminate or minimise exposure to respirable crystalline silica dust in the workplace.
Queensland’s new Managing respirable crystalline silica dust exposure in the stone benchtop industry Code of Practice 2019 sets minimum enforceable standards for:
- controlling exposure to respirable crystalline silica dust at the workshop and during onsite installation
- minimum respiratory protective equipment
- clean up and slurry management
- checking controls are working by carrying out air monitoring
- early detection of disease through health monitoring.
If you are affected by silicosis or know an affected person, support is available from WorkCover Queensland or the Office of Industrial Relations.
You can also call the independent, confidential and free Workers’ Psychological Support Service on 1800 370 732 to access various community services.
- Last updated
- 30 January 2020