About the program
Download a copy of this film (ZIP/MP4,180MB)
IPaM stands for the injury prevention and management program, so we work with businesses across Queensland to help them improve the way that they're managing safety.
It's one of the ways to help an organisation or a company get on the front foot with safety so they can identify where some of their problem areas might be and then they can target those areas more specifically.
Before IPaM came in the culture was different.
There was a real sort of do it just because mentality, it's the way it's always been done that sort of approach.
When IPaM came on board we had a more detailed look, did a gap analysis on those procedures and policies that we had in place and we had a very close look at the hazards that the guys were facing on a day to day basis.
Again it was an education process and I think they really led us on a whole lot of things that we hadn't really thought of.
It was a collaborative approach that we had. So there was one on one interaction between the members of IPaM and the workers here on site and they were able to speak their mind without a manager looking over their shoulder and I think the first reaction they're a little bit wary, that changed straightaway.
They knew why they were here and they look forward to it.
Having the IPaM advisors available when we needed them was fantastic and essential really to the program running effectively.
I recommend all other workplaces work on not only what you've got in place but what you can learn from their program and try and incorporate the two to make one collaborative process this will just streamline the entire work health safety process in your business.
I have all the confidence in my business right now that when my employees turn up to work they go home the way they arrived.
This program is really about working collaboratively with businesses to find out what's going to work well for them, getting to know their business, finding out where their opportunities for improvement are and really working with them to improve the way they're managing safety and injuries.
[End of Transcript]
The Injury Prevention and Management (IPaM) program works with employers across Queensland to prevent and manage the outcomes of workplace injuries.
Together we build on your existing expertise to introduce or enhance injury prevention and management in your business and create long-lasting positive change.
The program provides you with advice and tools to:
- prioritise safety and return to work issues specific to your workplace
- review safety processes and procedures to suit your business needs
- encourage workers to act safely by involving them in safety decisions
- determine how to implement a successful return to work scheme for an injured worker
- understand your legislative responsibilities as an employer.
There is no charge to participate in the program and it is available to any Queensland employer with a WorkCover Queensland policy, regardless of size or business maturity.
When you enter the program, you are allocated a dedicated IPaM advisor who will take the time to understand your individual business needs and provide tailored advice and support.
Your advisor will work with you to develop a plan of action and support you through the implementation of that plan.
There are three levels of support
- provides organisations with up to two years of workplace support
- suitable for medium to large businesses
- for complex or high-risk businesses with established work health and safety and return to work systems.
- provides organisations with three to six months of support
- suitable for small to medium businesses
- for growing businesses to evolve work health and safety and return to work systems.
IPaM small business
- provides organisations with one or two visits to the workplace for support
- suitable for small businesses wanting to establish a basic work health and safety and return to work system
- an introduction to work health and safety management systems, legislative responsibilities and guidance on how to comply.
To find out more, download the IPaM flyer(PDF, 4116.38 KB) .
How IPaM can help my business
More than 1,500 Queensland employers have already taken advantage of the IPaM program and seen improvements in:
- worker participation and involvement
- injury and insurance claim rates
- average claim costs
- injured workers returning to work
- insurance premium rates
- workplace injury rates.
- Last updated
- 25 August 2020
We'd love your feedback
WorkCover Queensland accident insurance policy renewal
Pay your premium in full or set up a payment plan quickly and easily online before the 30 September deadline.