Work health planning guide
This interactive work health planning guide is designed to assist businesses take steps to improve the health and wellbeing of workers in a workplace setting. Supporting your workers to improve their health and wellbeing could also improve your business' safety performance, productivity and workplace culture.
This guide will help you to work through each stage of developing an effective workplace health and wellbeing program.
- Management commitment
- Wellness planning
- Needs assessment
- Action plan
Where you are currently at with your health and wellbeing program will determine what step you will start with.
- this is a dynamic process, not a checklist
- all elements should be considered throughout the life of a program
- the first 3 steps are about getting organised to implement your program/initiative
- the last 2 steps are centred around the implementation of your program/initiative.
Download the Work health planning guide (PDF, 9553.13 KB)
Who should use this guide?
The work health planning guide is aimed at business owners, health and safety professionals, human resources staff, and anyone that has a role in managing workers.
The information in this guide can be applied to businesses of all sizes and all industries.
How to use the guide
To ensure a structured approach, work through each stage of the guide and make use of the associated tools and templates.
You can customise the tools and templates so they meet the individual needs of your organisation.
Work Health Planning Guide resources
Step 1: Management commitment
- Work health scanning tool (DOC, 1117 KB)
- Business case template (DOC, 1085 KB)
- Policy template (DOC, 137.5 KB)
- Work health checklist (DOC, 1042.5 KB)
Step 2: Wellness planning
- External wellness provider (PDF, 121.16 KB)
Step 3: Needs assessment
- Healthy people survey (DOC, 242.5 KB)
- Healthy people discussions questions for small groups (PDF, 130.83 KB)
- Healthy places survey (PDF, 231.54 KB)
- Employee needs assessment tip sheet (PDF, 132.33 KB)
- Workplace needs assessment tip sheet (PDF, 122.59 KB)
- Protecting employee privacy and confidentiality (PDF, 527.1 KB)
Step 4: Action plan
- Action plan template (DOC, 44 KB)
- Action plan example (DOC, 164 KB)
- Healthy people strategies (PDF, 128.86 KB)
- Healthy places strategies (PDF, 136.41 KB)
- Develop a communication plan tip sheet (PDF, 133.44 KB)
Step 5: Evaluation
- Evaluate your Workplace Wellness Program tip sheet (PDF, 149.17 KB)
For further enquiries or to provide feedback on the Work Health Planning Guide, email Workplace Health and Safety Queensland at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 1300 362 128.
The Work Health Planning Guide is part of the Queensland Workplaces for Wellness Initiative, a joint Australian, State and Territory Government initiative, funded under the National Partnership Agreement on Preventive Health.
- Last updated
- 30 October 2017
Free resources to measure and improve your safety culture
Make a difference to your organisation’s workplace culture to improve work health and safety. Download a suite of free online resources and get started today!