Pool chemical retailers
Pool chemical retailers store and handle hazardous chemicals and related products associated with pool water treatment including:
- hypochlorite solution also known as liquid pool chlorine
- hydrochloric acid and 'pool acid'
- calcium hypochlorite
- sodium dichloroisocyanate
- trichloroisocyanuric acid
- sodium hydrogen sulphate
- hydrogen peroxide.
A guide for pool chemical retailers (PDF, 1558.99 KB) identifies a range of hazards associated with the storage and handling of pool chemicals found in the retail sector.
- storage and handling of hazardous chemicals in packages
- storage of hypochlorite solution in tanks
- bulk delivery of hypochlorite solution
- dispensing hypochlorite solution.
The guide also:
- includes appropriate risk control measures based on good industry practices and relevant standards to assist pool chemical retailers protect people, property and the environment
- outlines relevant safety obligations and provides practical tools to assist with meeting these obligations.
Practical tools provided in the guide include:
- a chemical register
- an example risk assessment for hypochlorite solution storage and handling
- pool chemical specific compatibility charts.
Retail outlets such as service stations and hardware stores will have additional hazards that are not covered here, for example, the hazards associated with the storage and handling of flammable and combustible liquids such as fuels and oils.
The guide is based on relevant Australian standards.
- Last updated
- 04 April 2017